Skip to content

Alter an existing planning permission

Non-material amendment

Following a grant of planning permission, it may be necessary to make amendments to the permission. Where these amendments are considered to be non-material, an application to Devon County Council can be made online at the Planning Portal.

There is no statutory definition of what constitutes a non-material amendment, and an amendment which may be non-material in one case could be considered material in another. Overall, we must be satisfied that any amendments sought are non-material in order to grant an application. If you are in any doubt we would encourage you to seek pre-application advice by using our pre-application request form.

If your proposed amendment is not considered to be non-material, then a variation of condition application or a full planning application will be required.

Variation of conditions

An application can be made under section 73 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 to vary or remove conditions associated with a planning permission. One of the uses of a section 73 application is to seek a minor material amendment where there is a relevant condition that can be varied. An application to vary a condition can also be made online at the Planning Portal.