We are a self-organised group for Devon County Council and affiliate partners’ staff who identify as LGBT+. Allies are also welcome to join the network.
We exist to promote diversity within the workplace, tackle isolation that some colleagues experience, and be a critical friend advocating LGBT+ equality; we are not just a resource for individuals that identify as LGBT+ but for the whole organisation.
The Devon County Council Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans plus staff network was set up in 2005 as part of the council’s commitment to reducing inequalities and valuing people. In 2017 we renamed the network to Devon County Collective, to reflect the growing number of partner organisations joining as affiliates.
The network is mainly supported and facilitated by Devon County Council, but we welcome membership of staff from partner organisations in Devon (affiliates) as well as teachers and school support staff in Devon. Partners include those who we work closely with in the public or voluntary sector as well as organisations who deliver services on our behalf (commissioned services). Sometimes setting up a network can be challenging if you are a small organisation and it can make more sense to join a larger network. If your organisation is interested in setting up a network by joining dcclgbt please get in touch.
- Devon CCG
- Exeter City Council
- Libraries Unlimited
- Devon Audit Partnership
- Devon Integrated Children’s Services (Virgin Care)
- Schools and academies from across Devon
- Torbay Council
Watch our video to find out about the network and the pledge signed by the leadership group.
How you can get involved
- Please help us promote the network by printing our poster and pinning it to a notice board near you.
- Join the network by emailing us at email@example.com with your name, whether you are a full member (identify as LGBT+) or ally member, and which organisation you work for. It doesn’t cost you anything and means you’ll keep up to date with what the network is up to.
- Attend meetings of the network to discuss progress and get involved with projects, small one off tasks, running the group or just coming along to give your input. Your confidentiality will be respected and you can be involved as little or as much as suits you. Meetings are usually held outside of normal office hours (e.g. lunchtimes or evenings). Devon County Council staff can claim travel expenses (we can discuss funding arrangements with affiliates).
- Follow us on Twitter.
How we can help services: consulting the network
We are able to contribute to equality impact and needs assessments (where relevant to sexual orientation, gender identity and transgender issues) and promote best practice in policy and service delivery such as employment or health and social care. A key role of the network is to promote good practice on LGB/T+ issues within the council and our affiliated partner organisations. If you would like to consult the network on new or existing service delivery, policies or projects please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the County Council Corporate Equality Officer.
Signing the Devon County Council LGBT+ Staff Pledge
In May 2017, Devon County Council Chief Executive, Strategic Directors, and Heads of Services renewed their commitment by signing a pledge to LGBT+ staff. All Devon County Council Managers and staff are encouraged to download a blank pledge to LGBT+ staff and, within your teams, show your commitment by together signing the pledge and displaying it around your office/on your notice boards. Affiliates may wish to create their own similar pledge. Let us know if you have signed the Pledge and Tweet about it!
Contact the network
If you would like to contact or consult the network, join the network, attend our social events or find out more about the network itself, please get in touch. Your call or email will be collected and responded to by an LGBT staff network member and treated in confidence.
- Email: email@example.com
- Like our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/DccLgbt
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DCCLGBT
Other documents and articles
The dcclgbt staff network is governed by terms of reference agreed at the creation of the network, and periodically updated.
In 2017 Devon County Council published an LGBT Toolkit to help organisations and services be LGBT+ friendly. It includes resources provided by other organisations including a Care Homes Toolkit and guidance on SRE education in schools.
Take a look at the group’s 2013/4 Report to find out what they have been up to.
Between September and November 2003, DCC ran a series of confidential focus groups to explore LGBT+ employees experiences – this led to the setting up of the LGBT Staff network. The documents that comprise the report are the Main Report and Appendices.