Guide: How to become a County Councillor
You can be a councillor
Anyone can become a councillor. You do not need any qualifications. Councillors come from all sorts of backgrounds and, if anything, life experience is the most important attribute you can bring to the role.
You can stand for election as a Devon County Councillor if:
- you are 18 or older on the day of nomination
- you have work connections or property in Devon
- you are a UK, Commonwealth or European Union citizen
- you have not been declared bankrupt or “otherwise disqualified” from being elected
- you are not a County Council employee.
Belonging to a political party is not necessary. Some people stand as independent candidates, separate from political parties.