The Council is committed to supporting elected members by providing learning and development opportunities that will allow them to gain the skills and knowledge they need to serve the communities of Devon.
We are part of the Devon and Somerset Shared Member Development Service which widens our opportunities to provide learning and development with other authorities in a cost effective manner, it offers networking opportunities and the benchmarking of good practice in this field.
The Council first achieved accreditation against the nationally recognised standards set out in the SW Charter for Member Development in December 2008. Since then we have been reaccredited twice at the Charter plus level, most recently in April 2016.
We offer all members:
- a strategic approach set out in a Member Development Strategy and led by the Member Development Steering Group
- individual learning needs analysis through Personal Development Interviews based around a skills framework
- learning and development activity to meet individual organisational and strategic needs
- leadership development which provides opportunities for both aspiring and current leaders to develop their skills
- induction training for all new and returning members delivering learning at a strategic, committee, community and personal level.
We evaluate all the learning we deliver and make adjustments as necessary based on this feedback.
To find out more about any of the following please contact us:
David Minchinton, Senior Strategy and Performance Advisor email@example.com
Karen Strahan, Democratic Services and Scrutiny Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Camilla de Bernhardt Lane, Head of Scrutiny Cam.Debernhardtlane@devon.gov.uk