Feedback about a request

Devon County Council handles over 1300 requests for information under the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and Freedom of Information Act 2000 annually.

The Council is also responsible for responding to hundreds of requests for access to personal data under the Data Protection laws.

Many of these requests are dealt with in a timely manner and responses are generally to the satisfaction of the requester. However there may be circumstances when you feel it is necessary to raise a concern about a response or to query a decision we have made relating to a request.

How to raise your concern

If your concern is about a decision that the Council has taken following a request made under Data Protection laws, Environmental Information Regulations 2004 or the Freedom of Information Act 2000 we will treat this as a customer representation under the Corporate Feedback Process.  To raise a concern please write to:

  • Email: You may address a concern to the Information Governance team in writing to  Please quote your request reference number in any communications.
  • Post: If you would like to send your feedback by post, please address this to the Information Governance Team, Room 120, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QD.  Please quote your request reference number in any communications.

Please clearly outline the points you wish to raise as well as any other information you feel may help us resolve the issues you have highlighted. Once we have received your feedback we will consider this as a Customer Representation in accordance with the customer feedback procedure.

The Information Governance Team, will then investigate the issues you have raised and will respond within 20 working days.

All feedback will be dealt with in accordance with the Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs’ Code of Practice on the discharge of public authorities’ functions under Part I of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

What do I do if I remain dissatisfied?

If you remain dissatisfied with the Council’s response to your representation, you have the right to refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) who may then investigate your complaint and give an independent ruling on the issues you have raised in your complaint. Contact details for the ICO are included below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel: 0303 123 1113

More details about how you can make a complaint to the ICO are available from