I am writing to request information under the Freedom of Information Act relating to a road your
authority is responsible for maintaining.
Specifically, my query relates to Craddock Cross to Northcott Cross Road, Craddock
Please can you send me:
1) A copy of your current road maintenance policy relating to that road. Please send me the full
policy, but this should include details of the intended frequency of road safety inspections,
how these inspections should be conducted and the maximum time between identification
of a defect and repairs being carried out.
The Devon County Council highway safety manual which sets out full policy and details relating to highway safety inspections can be viewed online at:
2) A copy of the road repair history for that road over the past year. Again, please send me the
full road repair history, but this should include:
– dates of all safety inspections between January 8th 2017 and March 8th 2017
– details of how safety inspections were undertaken (walked or driven, speed of inspection vehicle etc)
– details of all carriageway defects identified, with description, date and time
– details of how the authority handled these defects, what repairs were undertaken and the
time between the identification of each defect and a repair being carried out.
The reports of the safety inspections, which includes any defects found and how they were handled can be found via the link below:
We can further confirm that the road in question is inspected on a 6 monthly basis and there was no inspection between 14-10-2018 and 14-12-2018.
Carriageway inspections are driven at a slow speed with the inspector as a passenger in the vehicle to inspect the highway.