Long Term Adult Care Contributions and Advice

“I would like to request information under the Freedom of Information Act regarding deferred payment agreement schemes within your local authority.

Below there are three questions we would be interested in finding out the relevant information for:

1. In 2018, how many people contacted you for information on how to pay for care?

 Information not held. We do not keep records of every individual who has contacted us in this regard.

2.In 2018, how many peoples long term care did you – as the local council – pay for either in:

  • In full
  • Partially
  • Self-funding

 The below figures have been taken as a snapshot as at 31.03.2019 for funded long-term Devon County Council clients:-

Funding Status Number of Clients
Devon County Council Full Funding 5,171
Devon County Council Partial Funding 3,874
Self-Funding 738

Devon County Council Full Funding has been assumed where there is either; i) no contribution active at 31.03.2019, or ii) the contribution active has a value of £0.

Devon County Council Partial funding has been assumed where there is a contribution active at 31.03.2019 and this value is greater than £0.

Self-funding has been assumed where either; i) the contribution flag indicates there is full funding in place (Z, Z3, W, P1) or, ii) the value of the contributions are greater than the cost of the services at 31.03.2019.

3.If someone has assets over a certain amount, they need to pay for their own care.  If you are already paying in full or partially for a person’s care and their financial circumstances change which means that they are now liable for these costs, how do you monitor this? Please confirm all that apply.

  • We expect the person (or their family) receiving care to notify us
  • We expect the care home to notify us
  • We conduct regular reviews of peoples funding eligibility
  • If we start paying for care for a person, we will do this for the remainder of their lives
  • Other…” 

Devon County Council expects the person (or their family) receiving care to notify us.