I would like to make the following request under the applicable law / regulation, in relation to highways that are the responsibility of Devon County Council.
1. The frequency which Devon County Council inspects ‘A’ roads, such as the A379 and A381 – e.g. annually.
2. The rating / grading of faults found during these inspections and the urgency / timeline with which these faults should be repaired – e.g. a pot hole covering an area of 1 square metre to be repaired within 1 month.
In response to questions 1 and 2, this information is contained within the Highway Safety Manual which can be viewed online at: https://new.devon.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/maintaining-roads/highways-safety-inspections/
3. Who – i.e. job title, employer (Devon County Council or a named sub-contractor), qualifications, experience and professional registration – carries out these inspections.
The inspections are carried out by a sub-contractor – Skanska.
4. How these inspection reports are received by Devon County Council and how a maintenance / repair team is organised / dispatched to the faults found.
This information is also contained within the Highway Safety Manual referred in response to question 1 and 2.
5. Dates of all inspections since 01/01/2019 and copies of all inspection / maintenance reports – to include details of all works carried out – for:
A379 Teignmouth town centre to Starcross
A381 Newton Abbot to Teignmouth
These reports to show the qualifications etc of the inspector(s).
6. Copies of all reports / job tickets / schedules showing the repair work carried out on the A roads specified in #5 above, since 01/01/2019.
In response to questions 5 and 6, we can confirm that inspections, since 01/01/2019 were carried out on the following dates:
21 January 2020, 19 December 2019, 10 December 2019 (A379 partial section), 28 November 2019, 28 October 2019, 30 September 2019 (A379 partial section), 27 September 2019 (A379 partial section), 26 September 2019, 23 September 2019 (A379 partial section), 16 September 2019 (A379 partial section), 21 August 2019, 16 July 2019, 21 June 2019, 20 June 2019 (A381 partial section), 19 June 2019 (A381 partial section), 18 June 2019 (A381 partial section), 11 June 2019 (A379 partial section), 28 May 2019, 13 May 2019 (A379 partial section), 3 May 2019 (A379 partial section), 17 April 2019, 20 March 2019, 12 March 2019 (A379 partial section), 13 February 2019, 16 January 2019.
Maintenance is carried out as a result of these inspections and following enquiries from members of the public. Records of the inspections, the enquiries and the action which was subsequently taken can be seen via the link below:
We should clarify that personal data in enquiries from members of the public have been redacted; disclosure of the personal details of the members of the public or their contact details would be a breach of their Data Protection rights and this information is therefore exempt from disclosure pursuant to s.40(2) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.