1.Please state the total number of children home educated (for part or all of the year) in your local authority area.
1660 – 03/09/2018 – 03/04/2019
2. Please provide all statistical information held relating to the home educated children such as a breakdown of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, SEND status and the reason for home education, if recorded.
The figures in the table below cover the period 03/09/2018 – 03/04/2019. We do not collect or record details about religious affiliation.
Figures for 2017 – 2018 are available online.
|With Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)||92|
|New Special Educational Needs (SEN) with EHCP’s||31|
|New SEN without EHCP||302|
|Total new cases||485|
|Total returned to school||132|
|Elective Home Education (EHE) – reasons||Number|
|Dissatisfaction with school environment||248|
|Dissatisfaction with SEN provision||51|
|Emotional behavioural difficulties||230|
|Medical – child||89|
|Medical – parent||8|
|Not preferred school||29|
|No reason recorded||176|
|Year Group||Number of EHE|
|Ethnicity||Number of EHE|
|Not yet obtained||5|
|White Western European||10|
|Hong Kong Chinese||*|
|White and Black African||8|
|White and Black Caribbean||8|
|Other ethnic group||*|
|White and Any Other Asian||*|
|White and Asian||13|
|White Eastern European||7|
|Any other mixed background||8|
- indicates we hold this information but as disclosure may identify individuals and be in breach of the Data Protection Act 2018 we consider it to be exempt under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 section 40(2) Personal Data.
3. Please confirm the total number of home visits carried out.
466 (2017 – 2018)
4. Have you investigated any suspected cases of children being neglected or abused while being home educated? If so, please confirm the number of cases.
5. Please add any further comments, for example any trends you have observed in home education, any comments about the current law around home education.
Freedom of Information legislation covers recorded information only, however, please see the Devon Advice and Information Service webpage on Elective Home Education