“For the years 2015-2017 (separately) please provide the total number of families who were supported by the local authority pursuant to section 17 of the Children Act 1989 (section 17 support).
2. Of the number above at 1, please provide the number of families who received section 17 support in the form of financial subsistence because although they were ineligible by Schedule 3 (1) of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act (NIAA) 2002 that support was deemed necessary to avoid a breach of their rights under to European Convention on Human Rights (Schedule 3 (£) (a) NIAA 2002).
3. Of the number above at question 2, how many were families with lone parents?
4. Of the number above at question 2, how many included women?
5. Of the number above at question 2, how many children under 18 years old were in the household?
6. Of the number above at question 2, what was the average size of the household in total (in adults and children)?
7. Of the number above at question 2, what was the average duration of the period in receipt of section 17 Children Act 1989 support?”
In 2017 – 2018, the Council received over 2,000 forms in respect of section 17, relating to individual children. These forms do not collect family and legal information as that is not required. We may hold relevant information on our social care systems but individual social workers would have to be contacted to link those children with recorded information about families, if held. We estimate that this would take at least one hour per case, meaning the total time required for one year’s worth of information would be well in excess of the 18 hours specified under the Freedom of information Act Section 12 – Cost of Compliance. For the three year time period specified in your request, we envisage that this would take in the region of 6,000 hours.
Under the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004 public authorities are not obliged to comply with requests which exceed the cost limit of £450 (equating to 18 hours of time). This information is, therefore, exempt from disclosure.