Please provide anonymised information from 01/01/2016 – 31/12/2020 about the following:
* Do you have any specific age friendly practices to support the recruitment of older workers aged over 50? Yes or no. If yes, please outline your policy briefly.
Devon County Council does not discriminate and actively aims to be the employer of choice within the marketplace. Our Recruitment Policy states that we will –
“· Develop and promote our image as a modern, improving and inclusive organisation that enables us to attract and recruit people with diverse backgrounds, skills and abilities, who will enhance the quality of the service and contribute to the organisation’s success.
· Be open and transparent and appoint on merit
· Value our existing employees and help them realise their potential.
· Give appropriate and proper consideration to all applicants.
· Work towards developing a workforce that in its diversity can provide an appropriate and professional service to the community.
· Actively engage with under-represented sectors of the community.
· Use flexible working arrangements wherever possible in line with Devon County Council’s agile working culture
· Ensure that assessment techniques and tests are free from any bias that might unlawfully discriminate.
· Enable applicants, whatever the outcome, to feel that they have had a positive experience
· Monitor and review our performance regularly, compare it with other employers, and update our procedures accordingly.” (DCC Recruitment Policy – Aug 2019)
Devon County Council recognises the positive value of Diversity and promotes equality in all aspects. We challenge unfair discrimination and will not tolerate discrimination based on age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation or any other irrelevant factor in any aspect of employment.
* Are job descriptions for posts advertised externally assessed for ageist language that could exclude older workers? Yes or no. If yes, please state which online word checkers you have used.
Our job descriptions go through a job evaluation process, where they are assessed for many factors including discrimination of any kind and promotion of equality/inclusivity. Our recognised Trade Unions are involved in this process
* How many any age discrimination claims by workers aged over 50 have been made against your organisation in courts or tribunals in the last 5 years? For each case, please supply court/tribunal reference