1. Have you used the new Equine Microchipping Legislation which started in October 2018 (other than for Licensing)?
2. Does the Council have an Animal Welfare Officer or Officer Appointed to deal with Horse-related issues for your County?
Devon County Council (DCC) has a Trading Standards Service and their Trading Standards Officers deal with issues relating to the welfare of farmed animals in Devon, Somerset and Torbay. In some cases, this can include equine welfare. However, responsibility for animal welfare issues lies primarily with District and Unitary councils in Devon, so you may wish to make contact direct with these councils via the link provided.
3. Does the Council have a Horse Issue Protocol in place?
DCC does not have a formal protocol to deal with issues concerning horses.
4. Does the Council have access to an Equine Green Yard or Equine Bailiff service?
5. Does your Council web page have information for the public to access on Equines? particularly Tethering, Flygrazing, Welfare Concerns, Equine ID & Microchipping?
The Trading Standards Service website has a certain amount of information relating to the welfare of animals and equines – links are listed below for your ease of reference:-
However, as indicated in our response to 2) above, animal welfare issues are primarily the responsibility of District and Unitary councils in Devon, so you may wish to make contact direct with these councils via the link provided.