I am undertaking a research project on detached youth work in the UK and I am writing to each local authority to gather data on the positive impact that trust worthy adult relationships can have on the lives of street children.
I would be very grateful if you could please send me information on the following:
1. A summary of the detached youth work services that you undertake within your organisation
2. Information on which districts / geographical areas are covered by your detached your work service
3. The number of detached youth workers employed by your organisation (WTEs) in the financial years 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17
4. The total spent on detached youth work services by your organisation (£’000) in the financial years 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17
5. Details on the operating hours of your detached youth work service, specifically:
o The number of days per week the service runs
o The number of sessions that are provided each day (specifying if this varies by day)
o The length in hours that these sessions run for (specifying if this varies by day)
o The number of young people contacted within each session (specifying if this varies by day / session)
6. Number of children and young people contacted (both unique contacts and total contacts where an individual was seen multiple times) by your detached youth work team in the financial years 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17
7. Performance against the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) (e.g. % reduction in school truancy rates) that you use to monitor and evaluate the outcomes of your detached youth work services in the years 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17
8. A summary of any interaction and / or joint work with other agencies including: schools; police; and social services
In Devon, detached youth work is undertaken largely by Young Devon and Streetwise in North Devon.
Neither of these organisations are associated with Devon County Council and therefore Devon County Council does not hold the information you are seeking. We would therefore recommend that you approach these organisations direct for any available information.
Their contact details can be found on their websites at:
Young Devon: http://www.youngdevon.org/youth
Streetwise in North Devon: http://www.bpag-encompass.org.uk/portfolio/north-devon-streetwise/