Our Equality Reference Group supports the County Council’s work on equality and diversity by providing advice, feedback, ideas and scrutiny. It symbolises the partnership of Devon County Council with the local community in its commitment to equality, and includes members from various local organisations pressing for change. Equality Reference Group members from the voluntary and community sector are independent of the County Council and Service Level Agreements are in place.
Membership (April 2017):
- Racial equality representative: Plymouth and Devon Racial Equality Council.
- LGB&T+ representative: Intercom Trust (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans people).
- Disability representative: Living Options Devon/Fusion Partnership (Disabled people and carers).
- Gender equality representative: Fawcett Devon.
- Older person’s representative: Age UK Devon.
- Young person’s representative: Young Devon.
- Religion and belief representative: Devon Faith and Belief Forum.
- Trade Unions equality representative.
How to get involved:
The group meet regularly throughout the year. Officers or Members are welcome to come along to an Equality Surgery (with the possibility to request one if any of the dates below are unsuitable). The group can also give insight and advice to Scrutiny Committees.
County Council Officers and Members wishing to consult the ERG on proposed changes to policy, strategy, or service delivery should contact the Corporate Equality Officer. Please discuss proposals at the earliest opportunity – a conversation with Equality Reference Group can help inform an Equality Impact Assessment which should shape and influence your policy/strategy. Please do not use the sessions to ‘sign off’ assessments or to just to give an update. Please provide any pre-reading at least two weeks in advance.
Community organisations can request agenda items or raise questions by discussing this with one of the members (for example, if you are a disability organisation then contact the disability representative which is Living Options Devon). If you are not sure who to contact please email the Corporate Equality Officer. Please note, the group focus on strategic policy and planning matters and do not represent individual complainants. If you have a complaint please use the Council’s feedback process.
See what has been discussed through our Equality Reference Group Newsletters.
Meeting Schedule 2020:
- 13th March – Social Prescribing (Wonford Community Centre)
- 15th July
- 2nd October (Room 273 – County Hall)
- 20th November (Room 273 – County Hall)
All rooms accessible to wheelchair users but get in touch for other requirements.
Unless otherwise stated the format of meetings is as follows:
9.30am Arrival and preparation.
10.00 to 11.10am First item.
11.20 to 12.30pm Second item (or extended first item).
12.30 to 1.30 Post-meeting discussion, general updating and AOB.
County Council Officers and Members should contact the Corporate Equality Officer to consult with the Equality Reference Group.