The School Nursing Service provides information and support to school-aged children and their families who live in Devon or who attend a Devon school.
We work in partnership with schools and other services to identify those children and young people who may be supported by the School Nursing service. This can also include working with schools to support their management of pupils with medical conditions, and contributing to policies which impact on health.
Working together with schools we:
- identify health needs across the school population and plan how we will work together to deliver the core offer over the academic year
- identify children and young people who may require support at transition
- deliver the National Childhood Measurement Programme (NCMP).
- identify children and young people who may be missing from education and where there may be a need for public health nursing support
- provide support, and advice in relation to toileting issues, healthy lifestyles, sleep routines and mental health and wellbeing
- work with Devon Partnerships as part of Early Help, SEND and safeguarding as appropriate
- provide appointment clinics for young people in arrangement with secondary schools
Young people aged 11-19 can text a school nurse for confidential advice and support. Text 07520 631722 for advice on things like relationships, bullying, mental health, self-harm, drugs/alcohol.