Apply for a copy certificate
Please note that we are not able to accept applications at this time. All applications should be made directly to the General Register Office by:
- Writing to: GRO, PO Box 2, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD.
- Telephoning: 0300 123 1837
- Visiting: www.gov.uk/general-register-office
Devon Registration Service holds registers for births and deaths and for civil marriages dating back to July 1837.
Baptismal, Marriage and Burial registers prior to 1837 may be held by the local clergy or Devon Heritage Services.
Before you start (applications are currently closed)
Before a search of the records is made you will need to provide the following information:
- Full name of the person(s) included in the registration.
- Date of the event including day, month and year.
- Location of the event, for example, town or village.
Please be aware our standard delivery service may take up to 7 days.
- Check the appropriate fee for all copy certificates.
Other ways to apply (applications are currently closed)
We are unable to deal with applications made in person so please apply in advance by writing to:
Great Moor House
Exeter, EX2 7NL
or call us on 0345 155 1002.
When ordering by post you should include a cheque made payable to Devon County Council. Please include a stamped addressed envelope for the returned certificate.
The General Register Office is responsible for keeping records of all events in England and Wales from 1837 until present day, you can contact them by:
Writing to: GRO, PO Box 2, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD.
Telephoning: 0300 123 1837
Please note that reference numbers issued by the General Register Office are different from the local authority numbers and do not match up with local entries.