Skip to content


Apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate

By law you remain your birth gender unless you apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate to change it legally.

You can apply to the Gender Recognition Panel for legal recognition of your change of gender.

To apply for Gender Recognition you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • have lived in your acquired gender for at least 2 years
  • plan to live permanently in your new gender.

If successful the Recognition Panel will notify the Registrar General, a recognition certificate will be issued and an entry made on the gender recognition register.

An entry in the register can only be made for transgender people whose births are registered in the United Kingdom.

As soon as your change of gender is legally recognised you will be able to marry in your acquired gender.