Grant funding is being offered to organisations that can help deliver a second year of a successful scheme providing maths skills training to adults in Devon.
Devon Multiply, which is funded by the UK Government and managed by us, is inviting organisations to submit innovative proposals to deliver numeracy skills training among adults in Devon.
Last year, 14 successful projects were supported to provide a range of free numeracy courses, helping adults to brush up on their maths skills and increase confidence with numbers.
This year, grant funding from £15,000 to £50,000 is available to projects that submit a successful application. Expressions of interest are open from now until the end of Friday 30 June 2023.
Organisations, that are eligible to apply include private businesses, public organisations, voluntary organisations, charities, community groups and local authorities.
Devon Multiply will support projects that show feasible plans for reaching learners from harder-to-reach groups including:
• disabled individuals – including those with neurodivergent characteristics or who are experiencing mental health issues
• people who are Deaf and use British Sign Language
• minority ethnic groups
• young people and those who live in relative rural isolation
• care-experienced individuals
• people who are long-term unemployed
• other evidenced harder-to-reach groups
The programme is geared towards anyone aged 19 and over in the Devon County Council area who does not already have a Maths GCSE at Grade C (Level 4) or above.
Proposals need to be delivered by February 2024 and must help people improve their ability to understand and use maths in daily life, at home, and at work. Training courses must support one of these interventions:
- Increasing number confidence
- Numeracy to help manage money
- Courses developed with employers for their employees
- Building numeracy skills to help people upskill
- Parents wanting to improve maths to help their children
- Courses for those who are 19+ and have just left the care system
- Courses developed with community organisations for those hardest-to-reach
Devon Multiply is part of the national Skills for Life campaign. It is aiming to offer easy, flexible access to free numeracy courses and initiatives for those who want to build on the foundations of their maths knowledge, as well as supporting those needing to take the first steps towards gaining a maths qualification. It will also work with employers to cover specific maths skills required in the workplace.