A major engineering project in the heart of Kingsbridge has been completed, allowing Fore Street to fully reopen to traffic.
The scheme involved replacing a 45-metre-long culvert beneath the road, an essential piece of infrastructure that carries water under the town centre.
The previous culvert was found to be in very poor condition and needed to be completely replaced to prevent the risk of further damage beneath the road.
The work presented significant engineering challenges. Teams had to excavate several metres below road level and carefully work, often by hand rather than machine, around a complex network of utility services beneath Fore Street.
The project was previously described as being like “threading a needle” because of the limited space available between existing pipes and cables and even a section that required specialist asbestos removal.
Despite the complexity of the work, the new culvert is now in place and the road has reopened, restoring normal access through the town centre.
The new structure will help protect the road and essential services for years to come, reducing the risk of future failures and improving the resilience of the local highway network.
The project has also safeguarded a key route used daily by residents, businesses and visitors.
During the works, measures were introduced to support the town, including a temporary one-way traffic system and free afternoon parking in town centre car parks to help keep Kingsbridge moving and encourage people to continue visiting local businesses.
Councillor Dan Thomas, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Leader of South Hams District Council, said:
“This has been one of the most challenging highway schemes Devon County Council has undertaken in recent years. The work taking place beneath Fore Street was far more complex than many people could see from the surface, but it was essential to replace infrastructure that had reached the end of its life.
“The new culvert will help protect this important route for the future and give residents, businesses and visitors confidence that the town centre has reliable infrastructure beneath it.”
Councillor Thomas added:
“Kingsbridge’s businesses have had a really challenging time while these roadworks have been taking place, and we know the disruption has affected trade for many of them.
“Devon County and District councils are working to support the town and help bring people back into Kingsbridge. As part of that, South Hams District Council is extending the free car park so people can continue to take advantage of free car parking in council car parks every day from 2 p.m. through to 8 a.m. in Quay and Fore Street car parks, Monday to Sunday until Monday 31 August. We hope this extension of the free parking will help businesses and the town recover from the impact of the works.”
Councillor Julian Brazil, local Devon County Councillor for Kingsbridge and Leader of Devon County Council, said:
“I know this work has been difficult for residents, businesses and everyone who relies on Fore Street. It has been incredibly challenging for traders in the town. I’d like to thank all those who continued to use our local shops. Kingsbridge is the beating heart of the community, and it needs our continued support more than ever. I would encourage everyone to try and shop locally and support the local economy.”
The project also uncovered pieces of Kingsbridge’s history, with excavation work revealing historic structures linked to the original “Kings Bridge” as well as pottery dating back centuries. These finds were recorded and preserved for future generations.
