Coronavirus (COVID-19) and school admissions
We are monitoring government guidance and currently considering the possible impact of the coronavirus on school admissions. Further information on the impacts of the coronavirus can be found here.
Apply for an in-year place
Apply for an in-year admission to move your child to a different school.
- Before you applyHow to apply
Before you apply we encourage you to do the following:
- read the In year guide to normal round admissions for the type of school you are applying to,
- find out what different schools have to offer your child
- if possible, visit schools you are interested in
- know which school is designated for your child’s address
- be aware of the school transport policy – it is important that you understand who will be responsible for transport before applying to a school and before accepting a place
- find out whether the school you would like asks for applications direct to them rather than through us.
You can apply for any state-funded school in Devon.
You cannot apply for a school outside of Devon or a private school. If you would like a place at any school other than a Devon state-funded school, you must contact the school or relevant local authority directly.
You can apply at any time of year but please be aware that the application will not be processed further in advance than 8 school weeks (or 16 school weeks for children from UK service personnel families).
Admissions team can be contacted on email@example.com
There are two ways to apply – either through our school admissions service or direct to the school.
Through school admissions
The majority of schools in Devon participate in our in-year co-ordinated admissions scheme. There are two ways to do this:
- Apply online at the Citizens Portal (if you cannot apply online, please contact the Education helpline on 0345 155 1019 and ask for a paper copy of the form to be sent to you.
- complete the D-CAF6 – a shorter form, available from certain schools. You will need to check with the school whether it is available.
Direct to the school
Some schools do not participate in our in-year co-ordinated admissions scheme. If they have already arranged to accept direct applications, you should apply using their own form – available from the school. This does not prevent you from using the D-CAF to apply. If you do, we will pass this on to the school.
Some schools will require you to apply on their own application form where this is part of their admissions policy. For 2017-18, these schools are:
- Pilton Bluecoat Academy Church of England School, Barnstaple
- Umberleigh Academy
- Brayford Academy
- Sparkwell All Saints Primary School
- Steiner Academy, Exeter
- South Devon UTC
- The Antrium Studio School