Skip to content

Devon’s Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Local Offer

Help with paying for childcare

A number of government funding streams are available to help you meet the cost of childcare. Some of these are universally available, some are means-tested and some are for parents of a child with a disability.

The government’s Childcare Choices website sets out the financial support that is available to help families with paying for childcare.

More information about paying for the childcare of a child with SEND is available from the Devon Family Information Service.

Find out more on our Factsheet about all types of help with childcare costs

Help with childcare for children under the age of five

You can find more information about the different forms of early years childcare support, including those that are not specific to children with SEND on our website on our funded childcare information page.

Help with childcare for older children and young adults

  • Tax-Free Childcare is for 0-11-year olds or 16 if disabled: Working families can receive up to £4000 per child.
  • Tax credits for childcare are for 0-15-year olds or 16 if disabled: Working families can claim back up to 70% of childcare costs.

Help with childcare for parents who want to study

You may be eligible for help with your learning costs. You must be a full-time higher education student and have children under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs.

Find out more at GOV.UK – Childcare Grant.

The Care to Learn scheme can also help with childcare costs while you study. You must be aged under 20 at the start of your course.

Find out more at GOV.UK – Care to Learn.

Funding for early years providers to help your child

Early Years and Childcare providers can also access the following funding to support your child:

  • Disability Access Funding (3 and 4-year olds) is new funding for early years providers to support children with disabilities or special educational needs. It helps providers to make reasonable adjustments to their settings. For a provider to get this funding, the child must be receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • Early Years SEND Support Funding All Early Years providers receive some additional funding to support inclusion work and can also apply for funding to support individual children. This funding can be used to support staff training, provide targeted group interventions and give additional adult support where needed.
  • Early Years Pupil Premium (3 and 4-year olds) provides extra money to the Early Years Provider for three and four-year-old children whose parents are in receipt of certain qualifying benefits, or who have been adopted or are in care.