Skip to content

Devon’s SEND Local Offer

Financial support for parent carers

If you care for a child or young adult you may be eligible for some support of your own to help you best support them and yourself. The Care Act 2014 recognises the rights of carers.

You can find out more about support available to carers on our Adult Social Care web pages.

There are also various government benefits available that you may be eligible for.


Carers Allowance

As a carer of someone over 18 you may be entitled to financial support in your own right. You might be eligible for a Carer’s Allowance.

Child Tax Credit

You can only claim Child Tax Credit if you already get Working Tax Credit. If you can’t apply for Child Tax Credit you can claim for Universal credit instead.

Child Tax Credit usually stops on 31 August after your child turns 16 but can continue for children under 20 in approved education, training or registered with a careers service.

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance for children (DLA) -may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who is under 16 and has difficulties walking or needs much more support than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.

Personal Independence Payments

Personal Independence Payments (PIP) – you may be able to get help with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or disability if your child is aged over 16.

The national charity Contact has produced a useful guide to Personal Independence Payments.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs that you may be able to get if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work. Universal Credit is replacing previous benefits such as Child Tax and Working Tax Credits. If you qualify for Universal Credit you’ll continue getting any other benefits you already receive, such as Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Carer’s Allowance.

Working Tax Credit

You can only make a claim for Working Tax Credit if you already get Child Tax Credit. If you cannot apply for Working Tax Credit, you can apply for Universal Credit instead.

Other financial support available

Once a young person turns 16 they may be able to claim benefits and allowances in their own right. See our financial support for young adults information about different allowances, the application processes and who is eligible for them.

Disabled Facilities Grants are for people who are or could be, registered disabled. This money is to make adaptations to homes to help children and young people live more independently. Young people over the age of 16 can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant themselves, however if you have a disabled child (anyone under 16 years old) or a disabled young person who is under 19 and in full-time education living with you, you are also entitled to a grant.

There are also a number of national organisations and charities who provide support such as grants or equipment.