Who is collecting and using your personal data?
Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us. As such, we will ensure that the data you give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation and associated data protection laws currently applicable in the UK.
Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer.
Please note that failure to provide your personal data may make it difficult for the Council to proceed with your admission or exclusion appeal.
Why are we collecting your personal data?
We are collecting your personal data for the following purposes:
- As part of your appeal about the school admission process.
- As part of you appeal in respect of a school exclusion.
We are processing this data with your consent and we rely upon the following laws to process your personal data:
- School Admission Appeals Code (2012).
- Schools Standards and Framework Act 1998.
Who will we share your personal data with?
In order to deliver services, it may be necessary for us to share your personal data with the following organisations/partners:
- Members (Volunteers) of the independent School Admissions Appeals Panel.
- Members (Volunteers) of the Independent Review Panel.
- Professionals providing information in support of your appeal, for example Headteachers, Admission Officers or SEN experts.
- Officers processing and administering the appeals processes.
How long will we hold your personal data?
We will retain your personal data for only as long as is necessary, and in line with our organisation’s record retention schedules.
Exercising your rights
Under the EU General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights:
- The right of access to your own personal data.
- The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
- The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format.
- The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.
Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.
Your right to complain
In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Changes to how we may process your personal data during the COVID-19 crisis
During the COVID-19 pandemic, it may be necessary for Devon County Council to change the way that we process your personal data, to ensure we can protect public health and deliver essential services to you and the public during this crisis. For more information read our COVID-19 privacy notice.