Privacy notice for road collisions data

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us. As such, we will ensure that the data given to us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulations and any other legislation governing the processing of personal data that may be enacted in the UK at the time.

Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer.

Please note that failure to provide your personal data may affect the ability of the Council to sell you road collisions data.

Why are we collecting your personal data?

We will use your personal data to administer your request for road collisions data, to reconcile your payments and to respond to your request. We rely upon Article 6(1)(f) of the GDPR as the lawful basis to process your personal data.

Who will we share your personal data with?

To respond to your request, it may be necessary for the Council to share your personal data with other services within the Council. We will not share your personal data with any third-party organisations unless we are required to do so by law.

How long will we hold your personal data?

We will retain your personal data for six years from the date of us responding to your request.

Exercising your rights

Under the EU General Data Protection Regulation you have the following rights:

  • The right of access to your own personal data
  • The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data
  • The right to object to the processing of your personal data
  • The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format
  • The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.

Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.

Your right to complain

If you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below.

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane