Who is collecting and using your personal data?
Adopt South West act as a Regional Adoption Agency (RAA) and are hosted by Devon County Council who act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us for adoption purposes. As such, we will ensure that the data you give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer.
Why are we processing your personal data?
To deliver the services of the RAA we need to process personal data about prospective adopters and children who have been placed for adoption. The legal basis we rely upon for processing personal data about prospective adopters is consent. Personal data about children placed for adoption is processed to satisfy our obligations under the Children’s Act 1989 and the Adoption Agencies Regulations 2005.
We may also use personal data to send communications such as advice, guidance and newsletters about adoption services we offer. Anybody who wishes to opt out of receiving such communications should write to email@example.com to request this.
Who will we share your personal data with?
To deliver adoption services it may be necessary for us to share personal data about prospective adopters and children placed for adoption with the following:
- Independent adoption panel members who are responsible for assessing the suitability of prospective adopters to adopt a child.
- Other local authorities with statutory responsibility for safeguarding children and for delivering adoption services.
- With social workers and other Adopt South West staff who need to access information to support the adoption process.
We will not share your personal data with other organisations without a legitimate lawful reason to do so.
How long will we hold your personal data?
Adopt South West will retain your personal data in accordance with the Devon County Council corporate retention schedule.
Exercising your rights
Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the following rights:
- The right of access to your own personal data.
- The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
- The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format.
- The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.
Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.
Your right to complain
If you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:
Information Commissioner’s Office