Privacy notice for historic environment

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us.  As such, we will ensure that the data give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulations and associated data protection laws currently applicable in the UK.

Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our
Data protection Officer.

Please note that failure to provide your personal data may affect the ability of the Council to offer a service to you.

Why are we collecting your personal data?

We are collecting your personal data to help us in our duty to maintain and enhance an HER and provide advice for planning and land management.

The processing of your personal data is necessary to enable us to comply with our responsibilities under NPPF, County and Local Plan policies with regard to planning and heritage and agri-environment:

Who will we share your personal data with?

In order to deliver services to you, we hold HER data on an HBSMR database supplied and hosted by exeGesIS.

For Historic Environment Record submissions, we may attribute you (name only) as the source of the information on the HER, and this and documents you submit may be made available to researchers and online. If you do not want your name to be recorded please contact us.

How long will we hold your personal data?

We will retain your personal data for only as long as is necessary, and in line with our organisation’s record retention schedules.

Exercising your rights

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the following rights:

  • The right of access to your own personal data.
  • The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
  • The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
  • The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format.
  • The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.

Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data protection Officer.

Your right to complain

In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case.  Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane