Privacy notice for highways (third party claims)

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us.  As such, we will ensure that the data give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation and associated data protection laws currently applicable in the UK.

Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our
Data Protection Officer.

Why are we collecting your personal data?

We are collecting your personal data for the following purposes:

  • In order to be able to invoice you for the cost of the clear up and repairs following an accident or incident on the Public Highway in which you were involved.
  • So that we may contact you should we need any further information about an accident or incident you may have witnessed.

We rely upon the following laws to process your personal data:

  • The Highways Act 1980 Sections 41 and 130 and common law nuisance and negligence

The lawful grounds for processing your personal data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is Article 6(1)(e) for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.

How do we collect your personal data?

In order for us to be able to contact you it may be necessary for us to receive your personal data indirectly from regulators such as the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) or law enforcement bodies such as Devon and Cornwall Police.

How long will we hold your personal data?

Devon County Council will retain your personal data for only as long as is necessary, and in line with our organisation’s record retention schedules.

Exercising your rights

Under the EU General Data Protection Regulations, you have the following rights:

  • The right of access to your own personal data.
  • The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
  • The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
  • The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format.
  • The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.

Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.

Your right to complain

In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case.  Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane