Who is collecting and using your personal data?
Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us. As such, we will ensure that the data you give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation and associated data protection laws currently applicable in the UK.
Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer.
Please note that failure to provide your personal data may make it difficult for the Council to proceed with your appeal and/or for the Council to make an informed decision.
Why are we collecting your personal data?
We are collecting your personal data for the following purposes:
- As part of your appeal about your child’s school transport.
- To support the Council’s decision making processes.
We are processing your data with your consent and we rely upon the following laws to process your personal data:
- Education Act 2002.
- Education Act 1996.
- Local Government Act 1972 and 2000.
- DfE Home to School Travel and Transport Guidance (statutory).
(And relevant Council policy e.g. Devon County Council Education Travel Policy)
Who will we share your personal data with?
In order to deliver services, it may be necessary for us to share your personal data with the following organisations/partners:
- Devon County Council Committee Members (County Councillors).
- Professionals providing information in support of your appeal.
- Relevant officers of the Council (e.g. Democratic Services Officers and the School Transport Officer).
How long will we hold your personal data?
We will retain your personal data for only as long as is necessary, and in line with our organisation’s record retention schedules.
Exercising your rights
Under the EU General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights:
- The right of access to your own personal data.
- The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
- The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format.
- The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.
Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.
Your right to complain
In the event that you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:
Information Commissioner’s Office