Who is collecting and using your personal data?
Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us. As such, we will ensure that the data you give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations.
Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer.
Please note that failure to provide your personal data may make it difficult for us to communicate with you.
Why are we collecting your personal data?
We are collecting your personal data for the following purposes:
- Competition/Prize draw entries.
- Survey submissions.
- Management of queries.
- Circulation of opted-in electronic newsletters.
- Photograph permission forms.
We rely on the following laws to process your personal data:
- Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations.
- The Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- The Controlled Waste Regulations.
- The Waste Framework Directive.
- Waste Management Licencing and Environmental Permitting.
- The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Regulations.
Who will we share your personal data with?
To deliver services to you, it may be necessary for us to share your personal data with the following organisations/partners:
- Contracted providers.
- District and unitary councils.
- Other government departments and agencies.
- Organisations working in partnership with Devon County Council.
How long will we hold your personal data?
We will retain your personal data for only as long as is necessary, and in line with our organisation’s record retention schedules.
No automated decisions are made using the personal data you submit to us for the above purposes.
Exercising your rights
Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the following rights:
- The right of access to your own personal data.
- The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
- The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine-readable format.
- The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.
Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.
Your right to complain
If you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:
Information Commissioner’s Office