Privacy notice for Ukrainian guests

Devon County Council is registered as a ‘data controller’ under the Data Protection legislation as we may collect and use information about you as the service user.  We hold your information so that we can provide public services to you. This notice explains how we collect, use, and share your information.

We need to collect and hold information about you, for a variety of reasons including:

  • the delivery of public services
  • confirming your identity to provide some services
  • contacting you by post, email, or telephone
  • understanding your needs to provide the services that you request
  • understanding what we can do for you and inform you of other relevant services and benefits
  • obtaining your opinion about our services
  • updating your customer record
  • helping us to build up a picture of how we are performing at delivering services to you and what services the people of Devon need
  • processing financial transactions
  • preventing and detecting fraud and corruption in the use of public funds
  • allowing us to undertake statutory functions efficiently and effectively
  • to make sure we meet our statutory obligations including those related to diversity and equalities
  • if we don’t have enough information about you, we may not be able to provide our services to you effectively

How we protect your information

We are committed to ensuring that any personal data we hold about you is kept safe and secure.

  • Paper records are kept in secure buildings and offices.
  • Electronic records are kept on secure IT systems.
  • Staff receive regular data protection training.
  • We will not keep your information longer than it is needed.
  • We have policies and procedures in place to help keep your information safe.

Your rights

You can request to have a copy of the information we hold about you, and if you feel the information, we hold about you is incorrect you can request to have it corrected or deleted.
Further details on your rights under data protection legislation and how to exercise them, are available here.

International transfers

Devon County Council does not intend to transfer your information to countries where UK data protection laws do not apply.

Automated decisions

Devon County Council does not intend to use computer systems to make automated decisions about you and your family.

What do we do with the information we have about you?

To make sure we can help you and your family settle in the area we will hold information about you.  This will help us provide you with the services you need.

What information do we need?

We will need to know your name, age, sex, passport number, details of where you are staying, information about your visa, and potential family members.

Why do we need it?

We will hold this information so that we can provide you with the services you may need while you are in the UK.  Data protection law allows us to hold information about you so that we can provide the support and services that the law requires us to provide to people who are living in the area.

Do we share your information?

We will only share your information where it is necessary to provide you with the support and services you may need.  Organisations we may share your information with include:

  • Adult and children’s social care.
  • Other councils.
  • Housing services.
  • Central government such as Department for Levelling up, Housing and Communities and the Homes Office.
  • Doctors and health professionals.
  • Police.
  • Voluntary organisations and charities who will be providing support to guests.

How long do we keep your information?

We will keep information about you for the duration of your stay in the area and 2 years after your stay.  After this time information about you will be securely destroyed.

Who do I contact if I’m unhappy about how my information is being used?

The Council has a Data Protection Officer who you can contact if you are unhappy about how your information is being used.  The best way to contact them is by emailing or filling in our online complaints form.

You can also contact the Information Commissioner’s Office via their website and can make a complete here.