Privacy notice for traffic cameras

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that we record and use about you. As such, we will ensure that the data you give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulation.

Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer.

Why are we collecting your personal data?

We will use your personal data for traffic management, enforcement of traffic regulations, management of emergency incidents, the prevention and detection of crime, and to help process requests relating to civil litigations from insurance companies or legal representatives.

Who will we share your personal data with?

  • Devon and Cornwall Police.
  • Other enforcement agencies with legal powers such as the Customs and Excise, Border Force, Local Authorities.
  • Insurance companies or legal representatives.

How long will we old your personal data?

We will retain CCTV images and automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) data – which may identify you and your vehicle – for thirty days. If there is a request for the data relating to one or more of the reasons why we collect the data outlined above we will hold the data for as long as necessary for that purpose.

Exercising your rights

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the following rights:

  • The right of access to your own personal data.
  • The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
  • The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
  • The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format.
  • The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.

Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.

Your right to complain

If you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case.  Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane