Privacy notice for town and village green applications

Devon County Council (DCC) is a public authority with statutory authority to grant applications for town and village green status. Such authority being granted under Commons Act 2006.

DCC is a data controller under Data Protection Legislation for any personal data that is shared with us as part of the town or village green application process. Applicants under this process are also data controllers under data protection legislation and must therefore ensure that they handle personal data with care, and in accordance with the requirements of data protection legislation. For guidance on how to comply with data protection laws, please visit the Information Commissioner’s Office website here.

The council’s data protection registration number is Z6475582.

This notice explains what information we will use, why we need it and how we keep it secure. It also explains your rights and our legal obligation. For more details about how we keep your personal data secure, of if you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer.

We will notify you of any changes to this privacy notice

This privacy notice was last updated 1 April 2019. If we use your personal data for any new purposes, updates will be made to the policy information and changes communicated, where necessary in accordance with current data protection legislation. Any queries relating to this privacy note please contact the Data Protection Officer.

How will we use your personal data?

We are responsible for assessing applications for Town or Village Green status.  We will use your personal data, and the personal data you collect in support of your application, for the purposes of determining your application for Town or Village Green status.  We will not use the information you supply us for marketing purposes and will not share this with any third-parties, unless we are required to do so by law.

Please note that the personal data that you supply will be published and is also available to the public on request.

What information do we collect?

We may hold records about you which may include:

  • Name
  • Address
  • The length of time you have lived at an address
  • The number of years you have been aware of the land that is the subject of an application for Town or Village Green status
  • Details of any usage you have enjoyed of the land in question including history and frequency of usage and activities undertaken on the land.

Why we collect and use your personal data

DCC will only use the personal data you supply to us, for the purposes of determining your application for Town or Village Green status. This information will be stored in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation.

Your information is never collected for direct marketing purposes and is not sold on to any other third parties. All applications, whether accepted or rejected will be retained permanently by the council.

The legal basis for us collecting your personal data

DCC relies upon the lawful basis for processing under the General Data Protection Regulation:

  • Regulation 6(1)(c) – compliance with a legal obligation

The council need to process personal data to enable us to determine applications for Town or Village Green status. We rely upon the Commons Act 2006 as the legal basis to process this information.

Your data protection rights

Under Data Protection Legislation, you have the right to obtain a copy of their personal records held by us; this is called a Subject Access Request (SAR).
Details of how to make a request can be found here.

Further details on your rights, under data protection legislation and how to exercise them.

International transfers

DCC does not transport or share personal data outside of the European Union.


If you have any comments, queries or complaints about this privacy notice or the processing of your personal data please contact our Data Protection Officer.

If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane