Privacy notice for highways development management

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us. As such, we will ensure that the data you give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations.

Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer.

Please note that failure to provide your personal data may affect the ability of the Council to offer a service to you.

Why are we collecting your personal data?

We are collecting your personal data to help us finalise a highways/planning agreement and to respond to planning application consultations.

The processing of your personal data is necessary to enable us to comply with Section 38/171/184/228/278 of the Highways Act 1980 and/or the Town and Country Planning Act and The Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015.

Who will we share your personal data with?

In order to deliver services to you, may be necessary for us to share your personal data with the determining body for the planning application, for example, the appropriate district, city or borough council or National Park Authority and retain your data in line with our retention schedule.

How long will we hold your personal data?

We will retain your personal data in perpetuity in accordance with the requirements of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

Exercising your rights

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the following rights:

  • The right of access to your own personal data.
  • The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
  • The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
  • The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine-readable format.
  • The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.

Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.

Your right to complain

If you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane