Privacy notice for health and safety claims

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us.  As such, we will ensure that the data give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations.

Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our
Data Protection Officer.

Why are we processing your personal data?

We are processing your personal data to enable us to ensure we can manage health and safety concerns and claims. The lawful grounds we rely upon to process your personal data is Regulation 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation.

Who will we share your personal data with?

In order to deliver services, may be necessary for us to share your personal data with the following organisations/partners:

  • Insurers acting on behalf of Devon County Council.
  • Claims handling agents/loss adjustors working on behalf of the Council.
  • Insurance Brokers acting on behalf of the Council.
  • Legal representatives acting on behalf of the Council.
  • Expert witnesses instructed on behalf of the Council.
  • Devon County Council internal services and, where appropriate, ex-employees of the Council.
  • Contractual partners or agencies acting on behalf of or in collaboration with the Council.

How long will we hold your personal data?

We will retain your personal data for six years in accordance with the statute of limitations.

Exercising your rights

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the following rights:

  • The right of access to your own personal data.
  • The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
  • The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
  • The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format.
  • The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.

Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.

Your right to complain

If you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane