Privacy notice for emergency planning

Who is collecting and using your personal data?

Devon County Council will act as a ‘data controller’ for any personal data that you provide to us. As such, we will ensure that the data you give us is processed in line with our organisation’s data protection policies and in line with your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations.

Should you wish to find out more about Devon County Council’s data protection policies please contact our Data Protection Officer.

Why are we processing your personal data?

We are processing your personal data to help us ensure we can contact you in your role as a responding organisation or volunteer to support our emergency plan. The lawful grounds we rely upon to process your personal data is Regulation 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation.

Who will we share your personal data with?

As part of managing our response to emergencies, it may be necessary for us to share your personal data between departments within the Council to ensure we can support you and our emergency plans effectively. We will not share your personal data with other organisations without a legitimate lawful reason to do so.

How long will we hold your personal data?

We will retain your personal data for the duration you remain employed by the Council or another responding organisation, or a volunteer plus two years.

Exercising your rights

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and the EU General Data Protection Regulations you have the following rights:

  • The right of access to your own personal data.
  • The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data.
  • The right to object to the processing of your personal data.
  • The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine readable format.
  • The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent.

Should you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the Data Protection Officer.

Your right to complain

If you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Devon County Council, you should write to the Data Protection Officer and clearly outline your case. Your complaint will then be investigated in accordance with the Council’s customer feedback procedure. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane