Becoming a childminder
- How do I become a registered childminder in Devon? You will need to register with Ofsted or a childminder agency before you can look after children under the age of eight years. To be a childminder you need to be at least 18. As part of the registration process you would need to:
- attend suitable childminding training that will allow you to demonstate your ability to deliver the requirements of the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
- attend a safeguarding awareness course
- attend paediatric first aid training.
The Devon Early Years and Childcare service provides free pre registration support and advice. To access support contact the Early Years team at: email@example.com
The registration process can take up to twelve weeks from when you submit an application form. To find out more and to apply please visit Ofsted.
Find out which courses you are required to undertake in our guide to becoming a childminder.
Preparing to be a childminder course:
We offer a ‘Preparing to be a childminder’ course which covers all the training requirements to prepare you for Ofsted registration. The 2 day course costs £50.
You must also attend a Paediatric First Aid course (which costs £65) and a Safeguarding Awareness (Group 2) course (fully funded). Dates available to book via the training website). If you already hold a current Paediatric First Aid or a Safeguarding Awareness certificate you do not need to undertake this course again.
- 13 & 20 Sept 2019 – Newcourt Community Centre, Exeter
- 17 & 24 Sept 2019 – Moors Edge Children’s Centre, Newton Abbot
- 5 & 12 Feb 2020 – Civic Centre, Barnstaple
To book a place on the Preparing to be a childminder course please contact the Early Years team at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then be able to create a training account for you and will let you know how you can book and pay for a place on the course.
Childminder information session:
Want to find out a bit more about becoming a childminder before signing up to the ‘Preparing to be a childminder’ course? Come along to a free and informal information session!
- 19 July 2019 (10am – 11.30am) – Larkbeare House, Exeter
- 29 July 2019 (10.30am – 11.30am) – Newton Abbot Children’s Centre
- 5 August 2019 (10am – 11.30am and also running at 1pm – 2.30pm) – Ockment Centre, Okehampton
Please contact the Early Years team at: email@example.com to let us know if you will be attending.
- Registering with Ofsted
- Early Years Register: covering children from birth up to the 31st August following their fifth birthday
- Childcare Register:
- compulsory part – covering children from the end of the early years stage until they reach the age of eight
- voluntary part – covering children over eight years of age.
Please see the Quick Guide to registering as a childminder
Please follow the Ofsted online application process: registering to become a childminder.
If you have any queries please contact the Early Years team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Additional Support and Advice
For further advice and guidance and a range of model policies and templates to help meet the Safeguarding and Welfare requirements of the EYFS please visit our Providers page.
You may also find these one minute safeguarding guides useful: One minute guides
For further advice and guidance and a range of material and tools to help you meet the Learning and development requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage please see Babcock LDP – Early years.