We would like to reassure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and working with the government and NHS.
For guidance on coronavirus and the latest information for Devon, visit Devon County Council’s coronavirus (COVID-19) advice pages.
Becoming a childminder
- How do I become a registered childminder in Devon? You will need to register with Ofsted or a childminder agency before you can look after children under the age of eight years. To be a childminder you need to be at least 18. As part of the registration process you would need to:
- attend suitable childminding training that will allow you to demonstate your ability to deliver the requirements of the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
- attend a safeguarding awareness course
- attend paediatric first aid training.
The Devon Early Years and Childcare service provides free pre registration support and advice. To access support contact the Early Years team.
The registration process can take up to twelve weeks from when you submit an application form. To find out more and to apply please visit Ofsted.
- What training do I need to do to become a childminder?
Preparing to be a childminder course:
Our ‘Preparing to be a childminder’ course covers all the training requirements to prepare you for Ofsted registration. We offer the training in a number of formats:
- Preparing to be a childminder (2 day taught course) – not running currently
- Preparing to be a childminder (eLearning) – the course will consist of various eLearning modules.
- Preparing to be a childminder (virtual course) – the course will consist of two taught virtual sessions (run over two separate mornings), eLearning and home study. Next dates for the virtual sessions: Thurs 5th November and Thurs 19th November (9.45am – 1pm).
Each of the above courses costs £50 per person.
To book a place on the Preparing to be a childminder course please contact the Early Years team. We will then be able to create a training account for you and will let you know how you can book and pay for a place on the course.
As well as undertaking the ‘Preparing to be a childminder’ training, you must also attend a Paediatric First Aid course (which costs £65) and a Safeguarding Awareness (Group 2) course (fully funded). Dates available to book via the training website.
If you already hold a current Paediatric First Aid or a Safeguarding Awareness certificate you do not need to undertake this course again.
Childminder information session:
Want to find out a bit more about becoming a childminder before signing up to the ‘Preparing to be a childminder’ course? Come along to a free and informal taster session where you can attend a short virtual meeting, watch a short presentation and ask the tutors questions about booking on a childminding course or starting the registration process.
The sessions will be held virtually so you will need to have access to a laptop/computer with internet access.
- dates tbc
Once you have booked on a session you will receive a confirmation email containing a link to the meeting via Microsoft Teams.
You will need a DEL account to access the training website. Contact us to request a DEL account.
- Registering with Ofsted
- Early Years Register: covering children from birth up to the 31st August following their fifth birthday
- Childcare Register:
- compulsory part – covering children from the end of the early years stage until they reach the age of eight
- voluntary part – covering children over eight years of age.
Please see the Quick Guide to registering as a childminder
Please follow the Ofsted online application process: registering to become a childminder.
If you have any queries please contact the Early Years team.
- Additional Support and Advice
For further advice and guidance and a range of model policies and templates to help meet the Safeguarding and Welfare requirements of the EYFS please visit our Providers page.
You may also find these one minute safeguarding guides useful: One minute guides
For further advice and guidance and a range of material and tools to help you meet the Learning and development requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage please see Babcock LDP – Early years.