Our Fairtrade priorities
Did you know that Devon is a Fairtrade County? Devon was first awarded Fairtrade County status in October 2008 and has been successful in renewing its status ever since.
Devon County Council works with Fairtrade Devon and the Global Centre to promote the benefits of Fairtrade and encourage individuals, communities, organisations and companies to take action in support of Fairtrade. The County Council has a long and established role in promoting fair and ethnical trading and Fairtrade is a natural extension of that support.
In 2013 we will continue to:
To find out more about the County Council’s role in supporting Fairtrade please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|Fairtrade Foundation website|
Our Fairtrade successes
To support our Fairtrade priorities, between 2010 and 2012, we have:
- made the supply of Fairtrade refreshments a requirement for external meetings and training venues if they are to be included on our procurement framework. Read the Fairtrade procurement story.
- partnered with the Met Office to hold a joint street market style event for staff in both our organisations showcasing Fairtrade products available locally including from independent retailers
- participated in the world record attempt to create the longest line of bunting to show off support for cotton farmers. Together, DCC staff, their families, our councillors, members of the Youth Parliament, school and college students and service users contributed over 40 metres to the world record attempt
- for Fairtrade Fortnight 2012 we held a ‘Bake Fairtrade’ contest for DCC staff using ingredients donated by Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsbury’s. The contest, which was judged by the Chief Executive and Council Leaders, ended in a cake sale raising over £400 for Wateraid and smaller amounts for local charities.
Our Fairtrade partners
Fairtrade South West supports the Fairtrade cause in the South West with online resources, and events throughout the year.
Fairtrade Devon brings individuals and groups together to spread the Fairtrade message and give Fairtrade products a more visible presence in Devon.
What you can do every day
A small step taken here in the UK can make a big difference to the lives of farmers and workers around the world. Start your Fairtrade journey:
- Swap a regular product for a Fairtrade one.
- Ask your local shop to increase their Fairtrade range.
- Talk to others about the benefits of Fairtrade.
Once you’ve taken your step, you can make sure it’s counted by visiting http://step.fairtrade.org.uk