Devon County Council is a registered umbrella body with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and provides services to council staff, schools, academies and externally to support a variety of businesses, organisations and charities. The department is primarily responsible for processing electronic (online) standard and enhanced DBS checks, but also offers additional services to our customers such as:
- advice, support and guidance on the DBS application process
- information on eligibility for DBS checking
- DBS First checks and DBS Adult First checks
- external ID validation to comply with Route 2 of the DBS process
- electronic (online) DBS basic checks.
Please visit our employment check portal.
Why choose Devon County Council?
The Safer Recruitment Service offers a comprehensive and efficient service and is well known for its professionalism and friendly approach. Our team bring a wealth of experience and knowledge to the department from varying backgrounds. The department maintain a comprehensive database containing the key applicant data along with the DBS check information, which enables detailed reports and financial data to be easily accessed should customers require. The department also provide detailed information to new customers, as well as regular communication updates on changes and new initiatives.
Information for our existing customers
Please note that a new upgraded version of our Employment check system for DBS applications has been activated. The system and processes are essentially the same, but there are some changes in the way the system is navigated, how it looks and some new features. Please see the new guidance documents below.
There is an obligation for all customers using the DBS service to comply with the DBS Code of Practice. This includes a requirement to have in place two policies. Please find below model policies provided by the DBS, from which you can create your own policy, appropriately worded for your business or organisation. Your policy on the recruitment of ex-offenders must be made available to potential applicants on request.
Employment check system new version 2 guidance documents
- Administrator guidance – using the employment check system
- Administrator FAQ
- Administrator guidance – quick start guide
- Administrator guidance – creating a DBS application form
- Administrator guidance – how to add a purchase order number
- Applicant – how to complete your DBS application form
- ID verifier guidance – UK EEA Nationals
- ID verifier guidance – Non EEA Nationals
- Identity checking flowchart
- Document checklist to support online DBS ID verification
- Non-EEA workers – Document checklist to support online DBS ID verification
- Section 128 checks
- How to check a DBS disclosure certificate
- How to use the DBS Update Service
- DBS basic checks user guide
Recruitment information for Devon County Council applicants
Devon County Council carry out a number of safer recruitment pre-employment checks for successful candidates. Please find links below to documents you may be required to complete:
- Eligibility to work in the UK – applicant guidance
- PO7 – declaration of unspent criminal offences
- Disqualification for caring for children – disclaimer
- Interview expenses
How to register as a new customer
If you would like to register to use our service then please email us at email@example.com or alternatively write to us on your organisation’s headed paper to:
Safer Recruitment Service
Devon County Council HR ONE
Great Moor House
For further enquiries or information please contact the Safer Recruitment Service:
Tel: 01392 381033 or 383266