Committee Safeguarding Responsibility
The committee are responsible for ensuring that the setting has effective safeguarding policies and procedures in accordance with the requirements in:
- Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
- Devon Children and Families Partnership (DCFP)
- South West Child protection Procedures (SWCPP)
Neither the Committee or the individual governors should have a role in dealing with individual cases or the right to know the details of individual cases (except when exercising their disciplinary functions in respect of the allegations against a member of staff).
It is recommended that the Committee have an individual committee member to champion safeguarding/child protection issues within the setting.
Role of the Committee Safeguarding Champion
Undertake the Group 2 Safeguarding Children Awareness training and ensure that the committee have the knowledge and information needed to perform their functions and understand their responsibilities.
The role would take responsibility for ensuring that the setting:
- has child protection policy and procedures in place that are in accordance with DCFP and EYFS
- operates safe recruitment procedures and make sure that all the appropriate checks are carried out on staff and volunteers
- has procedures for dealing with allegations of abuse against members of staff and volunteers that comply with DCFP and EYFS
- has a member of staff who is the Designated Safeguarding Lead (this does not have to be the the Playleader / Manager). The Designated Safeguarding Lead must undertake inter-agency safeguarding Group 3 training
- ensures that all staff have undertaken the appropriate safeguarding training at least Group 2 Safeguarding Awareness and this kept up to date every 3 years
- remedies without delay any deficiencies or weaknesses in regard to safeguarding arrangements that are brought to their attention
- review their policies and procedures annually
- liaise with the Playleader / Manager and Safeguarding Designated Officer and provide reports to the Committee.
The Early Years and Childcare Service now have a safeguarding and safer recruitment self audit tool which can be found on the safeguarding self-audit page.