The Step Forward employability programme supports care experienced young people between 16 and 25 to learn new skills, build confidence and take steps towards employment, education and training that fits with their interests and aspirations.
The programme has been created to allow us to be flexible and adapt to your needs, we understand that everyone’s journey is different, so we offer tailored programmes to suit every individual we work with.
Watch our video to find out more.
How does the programme work?
Step Forward is a straightforward, 4-step programme:
- Step 1 – express an interest and contact us via email, telephone or text.
- Step 2 – attend an initial meeting over the phone or face to face, we will start to get to know you and explore how we can support you, as well as develop your individualised programme from what we have on offer.
- Step 3 – send us your CV if you have one, complete an informal World of Work session (currently virtual due to COVID-19 restrictions) and one online course of your choosing – you will receive a reward upon completion of this step!
- Step 4 – enter on to the full programme – you will be able to continue to choose what you need support with from the Step Forward offer, you can keep adding to your personalised programme to take steps forward.
Keep stepping forward – our team will keep in touch with you and arrange 6–weekly catch-ups to see how you are doing, we will continue to work together with you to find opportunities.
What is on offer on the programme?
The Step Forward programme offers a range of activities that you can choose from to create your own personalised programme, it includes but is not limited to:
- development of a personalised programme – you can choose what you would like support with from this list
- World of Work Workshop delivered by the Step Forward team
- self-guided e-learning through our online Devon Learning website
- work experience
- careers advice appointments
- document preparation session – support with preparing documents you may need when applying for jobs (birth certificate, passport, driving licence, qualifications)
- CV preparation – support with writing, reviewing or updating your CV
- application support – one to one support with writing an application and supporting statement.
- interview skills training
- job search sessions
- qualifications in English and maths
- ICT training in Level 1 Microsoft Word and Excel delivered by our IT provider
- learning from home – a choice of distance learning courses delivered by Petroc College
- coaching – work with a qualified coach to explore ways in which you can move forward with your goals and aspirations
- CSCS card for construction/ building sites
- access to Employee Assistance Programme – you will have access to a service that provides support and advice on life and employment issues.
- volunteering search sessions
- ringfenced apprenticeships – we can work with managers to ringfence apprenticeships for care leavers, this means only care leavers can apply for the job role. Find out more about apprenticeships.
How do I get involved?
The programme is easy to get involved in, you can ask your personal advisor or social worker to refer you, or you are welcome to contact us directly using the email or telephone number below. One of our friendly team will then respond and make an appointment with you to talk about your next steps.
There is more information about the programme on our dedicated Step Forward webpage.
Read our case studies
See how the Step Forward programme has helped other young care leavers