The Admissions Team plays a key role in shaping the educational futures for most of the 90,000 pupils within Devon’s education system. The Team are responsible for ensuring Devon schools’ admissions are coordinated and delivered efficiently.
The Team process around 20,000 requests for school places each academic year as well as around 13,000 free school meal applications.
The work of the Admissions Team is varied and includes:
- creation of policies for schools that are compliant and fair
- management of consultation on admissions arrangements within statutory deadlines
- designing school designated area maps in electronic format
- managing admissions data
- creating training packages for other areas such as the Customer Service Centre
- promotion of the admissions service with representation at schools and early years events
- liaison with other agencies, such as social care, SEN, transport and school inclusion
- budget management to ensure efficiency within county resources.
The role can sometimes involve having to challenge or defend admissions decisions by schools to ensure compliance with policy and remain within their agreed intake level.
Job roles include Admissions Manager, Policy Officer, Senior Admissions Officer, Admissions and Appeals Officer, admissions officers and admissions assistants.
Why I enjoy working for Devon
The place to work
Think you know local government? Think again. Modern. Flexible. Inclusive. Find a job that makes a difference and contributes to your local community, and gives you the flexibility and support you need.