Imagine how it feels to join a new school but not understand what your teacher is saying in class, or what the head is talking about at assembly or what the other children are calling in the playground. Imagine this is your son and you can’t explain to teacher that he is scared, or is a gifted musician or is struggling with maths.
Bilingual support workers are able to bridge that gap for parents and children who are new to English. They can support bilingual children in reaching their potential and showing what they can really do. Bilingual support workers help our bilingual pupils access the curriculum, improve their use of English and provide pastoral support.
Our bilingual support workers speak Polish, Romanian, Russian, Latvian, Arabic and Bulgarian. They are all highly qualified and experienced.
We also provide bilingual support for other languages needed in Devon, these are mainly short term support for inductions but also for interpreted support school meetings and exams.
“It is crucial that the BSW continues to regularly liaise with parents and staff.”
Comment from SENCO at Cullompton Community College about our bilingual support work.
Please complete a Bilingual support and interpreter booking form.
Bilingual induction programme for new arrivals
We use Multilingua’s Interpreters and our own bilingual support workers to provide support for the teacher and student at that crucial “settling- in” stage. Please get in contact if you have a new arrival that needs support and given the languages and interpreters are available we will set up an induction package.
The induction package
- support pupil 1:1 or in class for two sessions x 3 hours*
- initial interview with parents, teacher and pupil
- use induction checklist (and school interview checklist) as guidelines for support
- provide support for parents, teacher and pupil
- write daily sessional visit notes
- communicate with parents
- * this may vary according to need and travel distance
- Checklist: bilingual induction
- Induction pack for EAL parents/carers
- Playground fans for new arrivals
- Sample induction board game
- Sample scheme of work for those new to English
- Bilingual induction booklets – EAL Highland
Please note there is a charge for this service for academy schools.