The DfE guidance ‘Working Together to Improve Attendance’ states that all schools need to:
- Have a clear school attendance policy on the school website which all staff, pupils and parents understand.
- Develop and maintain a whole school culture that promotes the benefits of good attendance.
- Accurately complete admission and attendance registers.
- Have robust daily processes to follow up absence.
- Have a dedicated senior leader with overall responsibility for championing and improving attendance.
This model attendance policy template has been created for you to use and adopt to suit your setting. The policy includes all the DfE recommendations as well as a set of appendices to support your implementation and possible ideas and strategies for how attendance culture can be developed and promoted in your setting.