Exploring Japanese Lesson Study
During the day participants will learn about the Japanese approach to both professional development and the teaching of mathematics and participate in a ‘live lesson’ as part of a cycle of collaborative lesson research.
The day will include:
- Exploration and explanation of collaborative lesson research (Japanese lesson study) – what is involved, why each of the activities is critical to the process and why schools in the UK might use this as an approach to professional development – Dr Takahashi
- Direct experience of elements of the collaborative lesson research cycle created by a Devon team of teachers and advisers:
- Lesson proposal – exploring how the proposal captures the thinking and intentions of the planning team
- Lesson observation – based on the lesson proposal, in an Exeter primary school
- Post-lesson discussion
- Koshi – reflections on the cycle by Dr Takahashi
"Weeks run from Monday to Sunday. Please note that weeks without communications to schools are ignored and the links will go to the last week where a communication was made in this category."