Skip to content

Are you looking after somebody else’s child?

Are you temporarily looking after a friend’s child while they are away? Is your child living with another family? If the answer to either question is yes, and the arrangement is for 28 days or more, this is known as private fostering. If a child or young person under 16 years old (or 18 if they have a disability) is looked after by someone who is not a close relative, then you need to tell Devon County Council. We work with the child, parents and private foster carer to ensure the best possible arrangements are in place for the child.

To tell us about a private fostering arrangement or if you are unsure if your situation is private fostering, please contact 0345 155 1071 or email

"Weeks run from Monday to Sunday. Please note that weeks without communications to schools are ignored and the links will go to the last week where a communication was made in this category."