South West Maths Conference:finding elegant solutions, 17th June 2016
Mathematics is about more than solutions. Exploring alternative approaches and discussing why one is more elegant than another is a key aspect of developing fluency, reasoning and problem-solving; elegant solutions are built on understanding of structure and relationships, key components of mathematics. Elegant solutions are also essential to school development.
This conference provides an opportunity for teachers to consider the place of elegant solutions both in the classroom and in terms of solutions to current issues in mathematics education. We bring together renowned national and local speakers to explore the theme. The day includes sessions by two nationally renowned keynote speakers, Lynn Churchman and Malcolm Swan, two workshop sessions and a creative plenary.
Key reasons to attend
- Discover the thinking of nationally renowned speakers
- Explore a key theme in current mathematics education through hands-on experiences
- Share ideas for developing mathematics for all children
- Reflect on current practice
- Develop ideas for the classroom and for developing maths in school.
"Weeks run from Monday to Sunday. Please note that weeks without communications to schools are ignored and the links will go to the last week where a communication was made in this category."