Success@Arithmetic– a new small-group maths intervention for those who find calculation difficult
Success@Arithmetic is a new maths intervention from the Every Child Counts suite of interventions. It is aimed at pupils who find calculation difficult and who are at or about National Curriculum Level 3C.
• Is aligned to the new Mathematics National Curriculum
• Raises mathematical attainment and promotes conceptual understanding
• Develops the mathematical subject knowledge of both teachers and teaching assistants
• Offers a carefully staged progression for the secure development of calculation methods
• Uses bar modelling and number rods to promote mathematical thinking and understanding
• Provides detailed analyses of pupils’ progress to help schools evaluate impact
• Can be used flexibly to address individual needs
How does it work?
Success@Arithmetic trains a lead teacher and a teaching assistant who work together to raise pupils’ attainment and develop their understanding, fluency and confidence in written calculation.
The lead teacher conducts a diagnostic assessment and selects a series of Success@Arithmetic steps to form a tailored programme. The teaching assistant delivers it to a small intervention group.
The sessions include concrete, pictorial and symbolic approaches that build a complete mathematical picture, moving the pupils towards arithmetical fluency.
"Weeks run from Monday to Sunday. Please note that weeks without communications to schools are ignored and the links will go to the last week where a communication was made in this category."