A380 resurfacing scheme
What we are doing and why
The condition of the A380 road surface is deteriorating, with signs of cracking in multiple locations. This cracking has allowed water to enter the surface which has led to localised failures, and therefore major resurfacing work now needs to be carried out.
The A380 is part of the major road network in Devon, therefore any disruption to traffic needs to be carefully planned and managed. To maximise the traffic management arrangements, other maintenance work will also be carried out at the same time, including:
- vegetation clearance
- replacement and upgrading the vehicle restraints systems
- drainage repairs and improvements
- bridge deck waterproofing and bridge joints
- footway work
- signage improvements and maintenance
The work will take place on three separate sections of the A380, between Kennford and Newton Abbot.
Work on the two first sections was completed by mid-February and was located on the northbound and southbound carriageway of the A380 near Kingsteignton. Please see the key dates below for the phasing of the remaining works. As the work is weather dependent, the below dates may change.
To set up the contraflow safely, whilst keeping the road open, lane closures will need to be implemented from Monday 4 November on both sides of the road. There will also be the need for one night-time closure on the northbound side to complete the contraflow set up.
- Telegraph Hill Northbound between the Texaco petrol station and the intersection with the A38 will be closed between 24 February and 13 March overnight from 7:00 pm until 6:00 am to undertake vegetation clearance works.
- A380 Northbound between Eagle Farm junction and Gappah Lane will be closed for one night between 2 and 6 March, overnight from 6:30 pm until 6:00 am to undertake site investigation works prior to the main resurfacing works later in the year.
- A380 Northbound between Gappah Lane and Ashcombe junction will be closed one night between 9 and 18 March, overnight from 6:30 pm until 6:00 am to undertake site investigation works prior to the main resurfacing work later in the year.
- A380 Southbound between Ashcombe junction and Ideford Dip junction will be closed for one night between 19 and 27 March, overnight from 6:30 pm until 6:00 am to undertake site investigation work prior to the main resurfacing work later in the year.
- Kingsteignton Southbound between Eagle Farm junction and Ware Barton junction will be closed between 23 and 27 March (excluding 24 March) overnight from 6:30 pm until 6:00 am to undertake remedial work following the main resurfacing work that was completed in December 2019.
For the safety of the travelling public and our workforce, we will be using full night-time road closures, each weeknight between 6:30 pm and 6:00 am.
It should be noted that the start time is subject to traffic levels falling below the required threshold, therefore the start of the closure may be slightly later than 6:30 pm.
Advanced notice will be provided prior to the implementation of any closures and there will be a signed diversion route in place.
The road closure dates and times, together with the diversion routes, are available online at one.network. This will be kept up to date by the project team.
We have a duty to direct traffic along a similar standard of road to that being closed so that all vehicles, including large articulated vehicles, can safely use the diversion route with minimal disruption.
How local traffic is being handled
Liaison will be undertaken with local stakeholders to discuss these works in more detail. Please be assured that every effort will be made to minimise any disruption and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.