Blog Archives

What are the costs involved if a property is not clear of street furniture, trees or is subject of traffic order?

Posted on 21 March 2017

Possible additional site-specific costs Re-locating street lighting column (up to 10 metres) £1500* Re-locating internally illuminated sign (up to 10 metres) Removal and replacement of tree (any tree needing removal will be replaced by 2 new ones at suitable locations)   £600* Modification of telecommunication cover (any chamber in a footway will require a heavy […]

I live in a conservation area – do I need planning permission to construct a vehicle crossing?

Posted on 7 December 2015

You should always contact your planning authority to check if you require planning permission. The government Planning Portal website gives further information about conservation areas.

How big is 5 square metres?

Posted on 7 December 2015

A 2.24m x 2.24m square is 5 square metres (2.24m is just over 7 feet). 5 square metres is approximately the area of 2 double beds. If you are converting this size or greater from a permeable surface, (such as grass), to a hard material, (such as concrete), you may require planning permission from your […]

My planning authority has told me that I don’t need planning permission for the work I am doing. Do I need to provide you with proof of this?

Posted on 7 December 2015

If possible, get something in writing from your planning authority, but if it is not possible, we will only require proof if we believe that what you are proposing will require planning permission.

How much is a vehicle crossing likely to cost?

Posted on 7 December 2015

Everyone has to pay Vehicle crossing licence, issued by Devon County Council: £260 Construction of a standard 3 metre vehicle crossing: £1500 – £3000* *Note: these are indicative costs for guidance only to enable applicants to assess approximate costs of applying for and constructing a vehicle crossing. Therefore applicants should be aware actual costs may […]

What are my ongoing responsibilities?

Posted on 7 December 2015

You must ensure vehicles parked on your driveway do not obstruct the footway or verge. You are liable for the work undertaken by your contractor both during construction and for a maintenance period of 2 years following completion of the work. If we inspect the area within this time and find the standard to be […]

What happens if I do not get the work completed in time?

Posted on 7 December 2015

If you still wish to go ahead with your vehicle crossing but the 6 months time limit has passed since the site safety assessment, you will need to re-apply and pay the fees again.

When do I need to get the work completed?

Posted on 7 December 2015

Work to construct the crossing must be completed within 6 months of the initial site visit in which our officer carries out a site safety assessment. This is because the safety assessment is only valid for 6 months.

What does my contractor need to do?

Posted on 7 December 2015

Once you have received construction specification and we have provided you with the specification details, your contractor needs to complete and return the contractor declaration form so we can confirm they meet our standards before issuing the licence. Your contractor must check for utility apparatus (pipes, covers, chambers) within the work area. If utility apparatus […]

How do I select a contractor?

Posted on 7 December 2015

It is important you select a competent contractor to undertake the work. Work must be done by a contractor that is suitably qualified to work on the highway and adequately insured. Therefore when selecting a contractor, you need to check with them that they: are covered for public liability insurance in the sum of £5 […]