Skip to content

Make a request

Vehicle crossings: Frequently asked questions

How do I select a contractor?

It is important you select a competent contractor to undertake the work. Work must be done by a contractor that is suitably qualified to work on the highway and adequately insured. Therefore when selecting a contractor, you need to check with them that they:

We may ask the contractor to provide evidence of the above on request.

Please note that if the construction does not meet our specification and conditions you will be asked to reconstruct the crossing and may be charged additional charges.

What does my contractor need to do?

Once you have received construction specification and we have provided you with the specification details, your contractor needs to complete and return the contractor declaration form so we can confirm they meet our standards before issuing the licence.

Your contractor must check for utility apparatus (pipes, covers, chambers) within the work area. If utility apparatus is present, your contractor will need to liaise with the utility companies concerned regarding any alterations needed to their apparatus. You will have to pay for these changes to the utility apparatus and the utility company may insist that their own contractor carries out work on their apparatus. Therefore you will need to allow sufficient time for the utility company to organise the work.

The contractor must build the crossing in accordance with the specification and conditions set out in the site approval and construction specification document. Failure to comply will result in you being asked to reconstruct the crossing and you may be charged for this. Our vehicle crossing specification can be found here and as part of the process, you will also be provided with a site-specific specification.

When do I need to get the work completed?

Work to construct the crossing must be completed within 6 months of the initial site visit in which our officer carries out a site safety assessment. This is because the safety assessment is only valid for 6 months.

What happens if I do not get the work completed in time?

If you still wish to go ahead with your vehicle crossing but the 6 months time limit has passed since the site safety assessment, you will need to re-apply and pay the fees again.

What are my ongoing responsibilities?

You must ensure vehicles parked on your driveway do not obstruct the footway or verge.

You are liable for the work undertaken by your contractor both during construction and for a maintenance period of 2 years following completion of the work.

If we inspect the area within this time and find the standard to be inadequate, we will instruct you that you must arrange for the vehicle crossing to be reconstructed and we may charge you for any expenses we have incurred. It is therefore very important for you to select a reputable contractor.

The vehicle crossing comprises part of the public highway and we may decide to take a core sample to check that construction complies with the specification. This will make a hole in the surface, which will be back filled with material.

How much is a vehicle crossing likely to cost?

Everyone has to pay:

  • Vehicle crossing licence, issued by Devon County Council: £260
  • Construction of a standard 3 metre vehicle crossing: £1500 – £3000*

Costs involved if a property is not clear of street furniture, trees or is subject of traffic order:

Work required Cost
Re-locating street lighting column (up to 10 metres) £1500*
Re-locating internally illuminated sign (up to 10 metres) £1500*
Removal and replacement of tree (any tree needing removal will be replaced by 2 new ones at suitable locations) £600*
Modification of telecommunication cover (any chamber in a footway will require a heavy duty cover and frame fitted by the Company it belongs to) £1200*
Re-locating unlit road sign £350*
Amendment to a traffic regulation order (such as parking restrictions). This maximum cost will need to be paid in advance and any amount not required will be refunded. £3000 maximum
Disabled bay – depending on the situation and the type of disabled bay it may be possible to relocate, but this is not the case in every location. Advisory bays: £250
Mandatory bays: £3000
Yellow lines – usually do not prevent you from having a vehicle crossing.  Please let us know and we will advise you further. N/A

*Note: these are indicative costs for guidance only to enable applicants to assess approximate costs of applying for and constructing a vehicle crossing. Therefore applicants should be aware actual costs may be significantly different from above dependent on the individual circumstances and therefore should obtain firm quotations where necessary from utility companies, local authority and contractors.

My planning authority has told me that I don’t need planning permission for the work I am doing. Do I need to provide you with proof of this?

If possible, get something in writing from your planning authority, but if it is not possible, we will only require proof if we believe that what you are proposing will require planning permission.

How big is 5 square metres?

A 2.24m x 2.24m square is 5 square metres (2.24m is just over 7 feet). 5 square metres is approximately the area of 2 double beds. If you are converting this size or greater from a permeable surface, (such as grass), to a hard material, (such as concrete), you may require planning permission from your local district council. Please contact them to find out.

I live in a conservation area – do I need planning permission to construct a vehicle crossing?

You should always contact your planning authority to check if you require planning permission. The government Planning Portal website gives further information about conservation areas.